[caption id="attachment_573" align="aligncenter" width="614"]
2012 © COPYRIGHT PRITIFOOD, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.[/caption]
Who doesn't LOVE a good brunch...sleeping in, followed by good food, good family/ friends, good conversation...and then lingering over another cup of tea/ coffee that can nicely take you into a lazy afternoon...it's LOVELY.
Making a traditional brunch can be tricky since a varied menu often calls for a lot of egg based dishes, bacon and other non-vegetarian ingredients....however, these days there are so many options for substitutes...that it makes the once impossible, possible. EggLESS quiche, eggLESS french toast and now eggLESS benedict....enjoy!
DIRECTIONS for marinating
Marinate tofu: ideally over night, but if it's not possible, than at least for 1 hour.
- 1 lb. extra firm tofu
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoon butter
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika for marinate, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika for sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 English muffins, toasted (or 8 slices of toast)
- 8 slices of tomato
- garnish with a touch of chopped parsley or cilantro
- optional: sliced avocados always taste good!
DIRECTIONS for cooking
- Drain the tofu, cut it into 8 slices, and arrange it in a single layer in an oiled 9"x13" baking dish. In a small bowl, whisk together the vinegar, salt, 1 teaspoon smoked paprika and olive oil and pour the mixture over the tofu.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Bake the marinated tofu for 30 minutes, basting it occasionally and turning it over after 15 minutes. Pour off any excess liquid and bake the tofu for a few more minutes-until it is brown and crispy.
- To make the hollandaise sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the sour cream, paprika, nutmeg, cayenne, and lemon juice. Make sure that the mixture is heated through but don't allow it to boil.
- Top each English muffin half or slice of toast with a slice of tofu, tomato, and a generous spoonful of hollandaise sauce. Garnish with a touch of chopped parsley or cilantro. Serve immediately.
GLUTEN FREE NOTES
- You can substitute the butter with Earth Balance and the sour cream with a non-dairy sour cream (Tofutti has one).
YOGIC COOKING NOTES
- Substitute english muffins with any gluten free bread you usually eat...or you could make and toast GF Cornbread from scratch!
- The pinch of cayenne to the sauce will help Kapha body types with digesting the dairy .
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.