Soup Season has officially begun.
Broccoli- Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
It's that time of year....gray, foggy, drizzly and damp----PERFECT weather for a cup of soup! I usually like brothy soups....but every now and then a thick-creamy-total comfort soup fits the bill. And last night was definitely one of those evenings.
With the serious craziness of the past week, the one thing I definitely did not get to was my usual weekend grocery run. HOWEVER, as a foodie lover we usually have some kind of veggie on hand...I usually buy large quantities of veggies like cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli because they have long self lives. So I decided to combine my broccoli and cauliflower and was happily surprised by the flavor that the cauliflower added).
I also don't like to use the usual amount of cream/ milk needed for creamy soups, so instead I add a potato or two to give it a good dose of thickness without all the richness.
This soup is definitely filling and comforting....perfect for making after a busy, long week. It pairs well with toast, crackers or just on it's on. ENJOY!
Broccoli-Cauliflower Cheddar Soup
Recipe Type: Soup
Serves: Serves 4-6 people
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup potato, peeled and diced
- 7 cups water or to desired consistency
- 2 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour (all-purpose or rice flour)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 2 teaspoons Himalayan Pink salt or to desired taste- this one's my FAVORITE
- 1/2- 1 teaspoon garlic black pepper or regular black pepper to taste- this one's my FAVORITE
- 1 teaspoon all purpose seasoning-this one's my FAVORITE!
- 3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika- this one's my FAVORITE
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, add broccoli, cauliflower, potato, water, all purpose seasoning, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until veggies are completely cooked. Then puree the soup with an immersion blender for a smoother texture.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook for 1-2 minutes until lightly golden brown, whisking constantly. Whisk in the milk and cook until the mixture thickens and bubbles, about 5 minutes. Once the mixture has thickened, remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the cheese until completely melted. Slowly pour the cheese sauce into the soup pot and stir to combine the mixtures. Add smoked paprika and allow to simmer for a few minutes so that the combined mixture can cook together.
Vegan Notes: Use olive oil in place of butter and coconut milk in place of milk.[br][br]Gluten Free Notes: Make sure to use the rice flour and it's completely gluten free![br][br]Yogic Cooking/ Ayurvedic Notes: Add 1 teaspoon freshly ground jalapeno when you add the paprika and it will help with digesting the dairy...and it'll compliment the cheddar nicely. To make it more sattvic, use regular black pepper instead of garlic black pepper and add a touch hing to the boiling veggies.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.