[caption id="attachment_904" align="aligncenter" width="614"]
2012 © COPYRIGHT KAJAL DHABALIA, ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.[/caption]
I LOVE pesto because it's always super fresh tasting and it's a quick and easy weeknight meal....not to mention there are so many different ways of changing it up! I've found that in our area, Trader Joe's has the best basil, hands down. It's usually fresh and well priced.
I also generally make my pesto sattvic, meaning without the raw garlic because I find traditional pesto to be too strong for me. I've made sattvic pesto for many (it's actually a Dhyanyoga Center retreat favorite...one summer we planted so much basil there, that we fed pesto to over 900 people)....everyone always LOVES it....so despite it being garlic-free, it's amazing how flavorful it still is.
I also use less oil, by cutting the traditional amount used with water and adding more nuts...it tastes just as decadent, except without all the oiliness.
Spinach-Artichoke PESTO (6 ppl)
DIRECTIONS for cooking
- 4 cups packed basil, washed and pulled apart from tough stems
- 4 cups spinach, washed, steamed and drained
- 1 cup parmesan, rennet free
- 1/4 pine nuts
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground (or to taste)
- 1, 8 oz can of artichoke hearts (I like Trader Joe's brand), drained and pulled apart
- Place all ingredients, except for artichokes in food processor and mix until pesto is somewhat smooth and fully blended together.
- Place pesto in bowl and then place drained artichokes on top.
- Serve with pasta of your choice, use on sandwiches as a spread, or mix into other dishes to add bold flavor and a great source of extra vitamins and minerals.
GLUTEN FREE NOTES
YOGIC COOKING NOTES
- Add rice parmesan + 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast in place of regular parmesan.
- For kapha body types, add 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated jalapeño and ginger.
- For pitta people, cut amount of basil in half and add either cilantro or parsley to make up the difference.
- And for vata body types, serve it with something warm like pasta or a toasted sandwich and/ or add an additional 1/4 cup of nuts.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.